Applications are now open for our CHI (Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems) Workshop on Friday 28th April, 2023 in Hamburg, Germany.
Call for Participation
Socially Assistive Robots as Decision Makers: Transparency, Motivations, and Intentions is a one-day hybrid workshop that is part of the ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) in 2023. It aims to discuss challenges, current practices, and ethical implications of Socially Assistive Robot (SAR) decision-making. We welcome up to 4-page (excluding references) position or research contribution papers which address challenges within the theme of SARs that make decisions. Some example challenges are listed below. Authors may also indicate their background and motivations for attending the workshop, in addition to any research results. The papers should be in the CHI extended abstract format and be submitted through Microsoft Forms. Papers will be reviewed according to suitability to the workshop to contribute to an interesting set of discussions by the participants. Papers will be selected to present a poster or short talk on the day of the workshop, and accepted papers will be invited to submit to arXiv.
- Which decisions should be made by the SAR and who decides this?
- How should SARs transparently communicate when reasoning is based on complex processes?
- How do SARs smoothly integrate into existing relationships in assistive scenarios to build trust with users?
- What is the role of robot embodiment in communicating explanations?
- How do SARs recover from unintended/incorrect actions through communication with the user?
- How should SARs approaches be adapted for specific populations?
- Should SARs that make autonomous decisions also have an explicit moral reasoning framework?
- Microsoft Forms Submission Opens: Wednesday January 18, 2023
- Submission Deadline: Thursday February 23, 2023
- Notification of Acceptance: Monday March 13, 2023
- Camera Ready Deadline: Monday March 20, 2023
- All deadlines are at 11:59PM AoE
Please visit the workshop website for more information.